Rihanna's latest single: Another cry for help.

I've blogged about Rihanna before. The last time I mentioned her was when I took a look at her single "Russian Roulette" which was a single that seemed to dangerously glamorize suicide and, in my opinion, gave the public a window into Rihanna's damaged mind. That opinion has been further strengthened with Rihanna's new single, "S & M". The title of the song is referring to a form of sexual behavior called "sadomasochism". I will try and be as vague as I can about this term since it refers to quite explicit behavior. Basically, it usually involves two individuals. One individual gets pleasure from hurting others (sadism) and the other gets pleasure from being hurt (masochism). In the song, Rihanna sings about this behavior descriptively, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me." However, this is not the first time Rihanna has mixed violence with love. Many might recall her single "Love the Way You Lie" featuring Eminem as well as the recent follow up to that single "Love the Way You Lie Part II" which actually includes Rihanna singing "Maybe I'm a masochist". Those songs undoubtedly displayed a twisted and abusive love/hate relationship. In this recent single, she has gone a step further saying, "Now the pain is my pleasure..." Rihanna seems to still bear wounds from her abusive relationship and is now once again, turning to the public to expose her scars.

A psychologist was recently questioned about "S & M" and what connection it might have to Rihanna's current direction, "Absolutely, there is a link between what you see, what you experience, and then what you choose to do. There's no doubt in my mind that people who have been hurt in the past and particularly, who have been hurt in some way, and then become sexually aroused or not sometimes during but after that event, will more likely chose to engage in that type of harmful or potentially hurtful experience again with someone else."

The psychologist goes onto clarify that there is no way to fully know if this link is present in Rihanna. She claims this is just one video and warns against over-interpreting it. And while I respect her opinion, (She is a psychologist!) I would disagree. I would point to the creative pattern Rihanna has shown with her music. Clearly, this is not an isolated incident. Clearly, Rihanna is on a very dark path and has been for some time. My heart breaks for Rihanna and I pray she gets help before it is too late. I pray she turns to Christ who is truly the only one who can repair these deep wounds left by abuse. And he can do that for anyone who comes to him and asks. May Rihanna's cry for help resemble the Psalmist's cry for help "You are my helper and my deliverer; my God, do not delay."(Psalms 40:17)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well articulated! I agree completely. While we nod our heads to the beat and muse over the interesting lyrics, Rihanna sinks deeper into a destructive abyss and we give her Grammy's. I'm praying for her.